Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!


It's spring and according to the farmer's almanac, last frost here in Portland is next week. To most gardeners that means it's time to start planning and planting. I've already set up my starts in a row cover, or as Pete likes to call it, "The E.T. tunnel." I'm excited to watch them all grow and start producing.

Last night I watched Food, Inc. and I've got to say, nothing has made me so happy to be growing my own food. I love gardening because I love everything that comes with it—sunshine, walking barefoot in the dirt, listening to the birds and of coarse the harvest. The act of gardening is my meditation and for me, the climate in Portland makes it that much easier to be successful.

I remember the days in Boston living without any green space to call my own. I had a few potted herbs once in a while and that was about it. Trust me, I know that having a garden is a blessing in an urban environment and I never take that for granted.

That being said, if you can't grow a garden, there are a million other ways to grow your own food and an endless number of rooftop, fire escape and window gardening books to help you get started. If only I had these back in Boston, I might have felt encouragement to expand my window herbs. Check out this Listmania set on Urban Homesteading at Amazon.com for inspiration.

No comments: